From Asheron's Call Community Wiki
|Description||Lets you salvage materials from loot items.|
|Cost to Train||0|
|Cost to Specialize||0 - specialized via Ciandra's Essence augment.|
Salvaging is the crafting process of destroying loot generated items and obtaining portions of the raw materials in return. Each item has a workmanship, which defines the quality of that item. In conjunction with your salvaging skill, the higher the workmanship, the more salvage you will return per item salvaged. It is good practice to salvage items of similar workmanship together in separate bags. Once you fill up a bag of 100 units, that bag will have a workmanship of its own, which is an average of all the items that were salvaged to create it. In general, high workmanship salvage is highly sought after because of its value in Tinkering. Bag value caps at 400,000p, any value over 400k is permanently lost (in practice about the only time you'll go over this limit is by combining partial bags or a LOT of items).
Salvaging an Item
In order to salvage an item, you must first purchase an Ust at a vendor.
- Double-click the ust to bring up the salvaging panel at the bottom of your screen.
- Now, drag items from your pack into the salvaging panel.
- When ready, click the Salvage button on the interface and all the items will be destroyed.
- Warning: Pay attention to what you're salvaging, if you accidentally destroy something valuable you cannot recover it.
- Note: Items that are marked as Retained cannot be salvaged, mana stoned, or sold.
- Note: Items that do not have a workmanship, like gems sold by shopkeepers, cannot be salvaged.
- Tip: You can can greatly increase the speed at which you salvage by dragging your main pack (or side packs) to the salvaging panel. If the Salvage Multiple Materials at Once option is enabled, all items capable of being salvaged will be added to the window. If this option is disabled, the first item or bag of salvage in the container will be added to the salvaging panel, along with all other items of the same material. Warning: Pay attention to what you're salvaging, if you accidentally destroy something valuable you cannot recover it.
- Tip: By default, salvaging uses either a tinkering skill or your salvaging skill that would yield the greatest amount of material. Tinkering skills can only yield at most the workmanship number in units of salvage. The salvaging skill can produce more units than workmanship.
- Tip: You can significantly increase the amount of material returned by training the Ciandra's Fortune augmentation. This augmentation can be trained 4 times, each time providing an additional 25% bonus to the amount of material returned.
- Ust - the tool used to salvage.
- Salvaging Forge - a forge located in Holtburg, Shoushi, and Yaraq that casts Master Salvager's Boon, a +45 Salvaging standard buff.
- Salvager's Helm - A helmet in the style of an old Heaume that casts Minor Salvaging Aptitude, a +5 cantrip.
- Loot items can be found with Salvage Cantrips.
- Loot armor can be found that is part of the Tinker's Set - Up to 5 points that stacks with everything if five pieces of armor are worn (Level 180+).
- By default the maximum % chance to succeed on an imbue is 33% (or 38% with the Charmed Smith). However, there are bags of Foolproof Salvage that will imbue with 100% success regardless of which tink (1st or 10th tink, all 100%). Foolproof can be found as Rares or purchased from alt. currency vendors such as the Colosseum Coin Collector.
The following chart lists the skill required to fill bags in the MOST EFFICIENT manner.
- wk - Buffed Skill Required
- 10- 232 (192 base)
- 9 - 236 (196 base)
- 8 - 218 (178 base)
- 7 - 221 (181 base)
- 6 - 226 (186 base)
- 5 - 232 (192 base)
- 4 - 242 (202 base)
- 3 - 194 (154 base)
- 2 - 194 (154 base)
- 1 - 194 (154 base)
Conclusions of this analysis: If you aren't concerned about wk 4 items, the highest necessary Salvaging skill is 196 base, at a cost of 1,692,943,784 xp. Any additional xp spent will not fill bags any faster.
The value of the salvage that results depends on salvaging skill and is affected by salvaging augmentations (workmanship has no effect). At low skill levels the resultant salvage retains only a portion of the original item's value, however at higher skill levels the value returned is greater than the original's and is in effect a bonus. In other words, selling a salvage bag gives more pyreals than if you were to sell the item as is. This is a very effective way of earning pyreals because it allows you to condense items in the field into high value bags to sell later (keep in mind the 400,000p value limit though). This means that you can earn nearly 150% of the face value of items you sell. To further maximize your earnings sell your bags to vendors that buy at or near face value, for example Tunlok Weapons Master for 100% (Town Founder quest required for access) or Janier al-Evv for 95% (no quest required).
FORMULA (skill) / 387 * (1.0 + (augmentations)) WHERE skill = Salvaging Skill augmentations = 0.0 for no augmentations, 0.25 for one, 0.5 for two, 0.75 for three, 1.0 for four
Example Returns Skill Zero Augs One Aug Two Augs Three Augs Four Augs 150 38.8% 48.4% 58.1% 67.8% 77.5% 175 45.2% 56.5% 67.8% 79.1% 90.4% 200 51.7% 64.6% 77.5% 90.4% 103.4% 225 58.1% 72.7% 87.2% 101.7% 116.3% 250 64.6% 80.7% 96.9% 113.0% 129.2% 275 71.1% 88.8% 106.6% 124.4% 142.1% 300 77.5% 96.9% 116.3% 135.7% 155.0% Currently this skill is capped at 300, any skill increase past 300 does not increase your returns (in either amount or value).
Salvages Worth Keeping
- Maximum salvage cap increased to take into account specialized Salvaging.
|Magic Skills||Arcane Lore, Creature Enchantment, Item Enchantment, Life Magic, Mana Conversion, Void Magic, War Magic|
|Combat Skills||Finesse Weapons, Heavy Weapons, Light Weapons, Missile Weapons, Two Handed Combat|
|Secondary Combat Skills||Dual Wield, Dirty Fighting, Recklessness, Sneak Attack, Summoning|
|Defense Skills||Magic Defense, Melee Defense, Missile Defense, Shield|
|Crafting Skills||Alchemy, Armor Tinkering, Cooking, Fletching, Item Tinkering, Lockpick, Magic Item Tinkering, Salvaging, Weapon Tinkering|
|Miscellaneous Skills||Assess Creature, Assess Person, Deception, Healing, Leadership, Loyalty, Jump, Run|